Monday, October 16, 2006

Balancing on Skinny Legs.

This past weekend was the big northern trip to Vermont I mentioned a few weeks ago. We go up mainly to go apple picking at this one particular orchard I used to go to with my grandparents when I was a kid. I get annoyed when people ask me, "Why go up there to pick apples? There are orchards around here." They just don't get it.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I'm always looking for ideas for this blog, and just my writing in general. Anything that has to do with health causes my eyes/ears to perk up.

So, today I want to bring your attention to your balance in training. No I don't mean actual balance, like balancing on one foot. I'm talking about making sure you do not neglect areas or your body, or energy systems.

This came to my attention this past weekend. We (my wife, daughter and I) were walking into the fitness club/spa at the resort we were staying at. We were bringing my daughter to swim in the indoor Olympic size swimming pool, which she loved by the way.

As soon as you walk in there' s a weight room. Even though I spend no time in weight rooms I glanced over to see what they had, and to see the people in there. One man stuck out to me.

He was doing biceps curls. He's upper body was very developed, he was obviously a Mesomorph (look back to my posts about body types.)

I saw him later on in the locker room. While he had a big, puffed up, chest, arms and shoulders, his legs were as skinny as broom sticks. If only he spent as much time training his legs as he spends on the bench press, or better yet, ditch the weights and do some functional exercises for his whole body.

You have to make sure you exercise your whole body. Functional training is the key to a strong, healthy, productive body.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home