Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Streeeeeeeeetch

I'm going to give you a little tip. This tip seems to blow people's minds sometimes. To me it's always just been the way I do things. It doesn't seem so profound to me but, it could to you.

Here's the deal: You NEVER want to stretch first thing during a workout. Get your body warm first. Or just stretch at the end of the workout.

Notice I did not say, "Always stretch at the end." Sure you can do that if you want. But some people, especially runners like to stretch before the run. Before you do that move around a little and get your body warm, maybe a little sweat going. Just a little jog in place or some jumping jacks, something along that line. Then stretch. Or just do the little warm up, go into the meat of your workout, then stretch as a cool down.

Why?

Because if you stretch before you are warm you are mostly stretching your tendons and ligaments alone. Not good. If you wait until the muscles are warm you are mostly stretching the muscles, which is what you want to do in the first place.

I've had very little if any pulled muscles with my wrestlers since I started do this with them, which was my first year of coaching.

Always stretch after you're warm!

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home