Monday, July 31, 2006

#1 Mistake

Here a little article I wrote a couple years ago, enjoy...

---

The #1 Mistake

What's the number one mistake people make when they exercise?

Tough question. It doesn't matter what activity they are attempting, nearly all people make this mistake at one time or another and it can seriously hinder any benefits or enjoyment one would get.

You may be thinking, "it’s that they don't exercise long enough."
I believe 5 minutes a day of exercise are is better than none. So no, it's not that people don't workout long enough, in fact most people who do exercise work out too long at the wrong exercises.

Enough suspense already, I'll spill the beans. The number one mistake people make when they exercise is simple...they don't breathe. Or they even hold their breathe because, "they're concentrating."

You must breathe fully and deeply when you exercise. You should breathe deeply when you start, not just when you get winded and have too.

Breath is power. Every breath you take brings energy into your body, and I don't mean solely oxygen. Like it or not, there is a "life energy" all around us, some may have heard the word "chi" or "xi" from martial arts. It's all the same thing. I simply refer to it as life energy.

Most people aren't even aware of it or think the whole idea is some religous mumbo jumbo. I used to be one of them. It's real, bottomline. Once I began to focus on it and sincerely try to harness it I saw, and felt the truth. You don't have to bring religon into it at all if you don't want. But it is spiritual. There are several ways of building up this life energy in your body, and the best way is deep breathing.

When you restrict your breathing while exercising you are asking your body to function on an elevated level but with less oxygen than normal, and even less life energy than normal.

Most people walk around in life breathing shallow, they breath “from their throat.” I encourage you to “breath from your feet.”

What do I mean by that?

Every breathe should fill your body with power. Every breathe should nurish every cell in your being with oxygen and energy.

There are an array of deep breathing exercises taught in an array of different systems, programs, and styles.

I don't know what I would do without them since they seem so vital to me now. However, most people walking around in the world today continue to starve their body and spirit.

Don't believe me? Take 5 breathes in as deep as you can and hold for a count then blow it out slowly as much as you can. Now tell me there's nothing to it.

There are literally 100’s if not 1000’s of ways to incorporate deep breathing into exercise. I even recommend doing entire workout sessions of nothing but deep breathing exercises.

Take some deep breaths, draw in some energy and go attack your workout. Correct the mistake and see your results skyrocket.

---

I don't remember who I wrote this for but I do remember I got a good response from it. You have to breath people! Nothing bugs me more than when a client holds their breath while doing a hard exercise. That's just going to make it harder. Breath is power. Breath is life. Suck some in.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home