Friday, August 25, 2006

ME! ME! ME!

Today's principle is one that throws a wrench into the works. Just after you get all these principles into your head (and there's more to come) comes this one. It's the....Individual Response principle.

This principle basically states that everybody reacts to training differently. So a coach shouldn't expect every single one of his athletes to respond in precisely the same way.

Genetics, diet, sleep, maturity (both physical and mental), and other enviromental and personal factors can contribute to varying degrees of training response from athletes.

All our lives are like giant mazes. We all have a goal to get to, but none of us get there the same way. We have to find out what works best for us and go by that route.

This principle is one of my favorites just beacuse it leaves so much open. It also can comfort someone who is feeling like they haven't achieved anything. I point out all the things they HAVE achieved, and just because they can't do something as well as this guy over here doesn't mean squat. Perhaps they can do this one thing better than him.

Everybody is different. Some people are naturally strong. Some have God-given endurance. Some are born super flexible. I could train flexibility non-stop but I would never get as flexible as those little contortionist girls in the circus. Why? Because science has shown they are just born with the ability to contort their bodies that way. It's something that can't be developed. So their individual response to extreme flexibilty training would be different than my response to the same training.

One of my natural "gifts" is leg strength. I have "tree trunk" legs. And I've always excelled at leg exercises, even before I was big into exercise. I remember I could push the whole stack on the leg press machine in my high school when I was a freshmen, without any training. So my response to leg training is different than, say a guy who has a lot of natural upper-body strength but little chicken legs.

You can use this principle to help train your weak spots. I do a lot of upper body work because that's my weak spot. And I may respond slowly to that training, but that's just my body and I have to deal with it. My legs on the other hand respond to training very quickly.

It's all about how your body responds. Use the other principles of training to construct a sound workout program for yourself, and use the individual response principle to help keep everything in perspective. You are you. Train for you.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home