Monday, August 14, 2006

Sad, sad, sad...

This past weekend I was at my town's annual country fair. I've been going my entire life and it's pretty much the closet thing I get to a vacation. Which is fine with me. I endulged in some junky fair food, once a year is okay, all things in moderation. I see people from my town, enjoy the weather (if it's nice, which is was), my daughter plays, I watch the acts on stage, and I people watch.

Last night I saw something that upset me. A family walked in front of me. Both parents obese, and older son obese and then a little girl, no more than 5 years-old. She was so fat she could barely walk. Her body was literally almost a perfect circle. She was too young to realize. She was dancing around to the music like little kids do. She was smiling and laughing. But after a few minutes she would be breathing heavy and struggling to even walk to sit down. It was so sad. And in my opinion a form of child abuse. At the rate she was going she'll be lucky to live to 30.

And the kicker is the parents gave both kids, the son and the little girl, their own family size serving of french fries. Ridiculous. These parents, and many like them, are killing their children.

I wish I could just smack some sense into these people. All I can do is hope to influence, educate, motivate or inspire. And it's seeing things like that that remind me why I do what I do.

It breaks my heart to think of the future waiting that little girl. Hopefully something will happen in her life to change it for the better. Hopefully her parents will smarten up.

Parents need to be good stewards of their children's bodies.

That's all I have for today. To be honest, this kind of bummed me out. But there's really nothing I can do.

A good workout will get the juices flowing and make me feel better. So I'm going to go do that, and you should too!

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home