Monday, August 07, 2006

So, you work at a gym right?

Whenever people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them they almost always ask, "So you work at a gym?"

No no no.

People seem to have a hard time believing you can get a real quality workout without all the machines and gizmos at your local gym. It's the truth. All you need is your body and some space...and the knowledge of how to do it.

I go to my clients. I train them in their homes, offices, wherever they want. And more often than not I get the reaction of, "That was the best workout of my life, I didn't think you could do this without equipment." Well my friends, you can, in fact it's the most natural workout out there. You work your entire body as one unit. You don't want to isolate a single muscle, you want to focus on a muscle group (upper body for example) while you're also engaging the rest of your body for support. That is how you get into functional condition. Sure I use some equipment sometimes just to mix things up and keep it interesting. But I don't need to. And it's always easily portable, minor equipment.

Bodybuilders may look good with their inflated muscles. But believe you me, they gas out in about 2 seconds doing anything functional. I used to love it when I would wrestle against a big, bulky bodybuilder guy (which was rare because most real wrestlers know that isn't the way to train for wrestling) because in about 30 seconds they're as weak as a newborn kitten. They're also always the first guy to get injured. Why? Because their body is not used to working as one unit. It's been trained to work one muscle at a time. That's not how the body functions in the real world.

Bottomline, train for functionality and the good looks will follow.

I would consider opening my own gym someday. It would not be your typical gym, that's for sure.

Train smart,

RL

PS - Please note: When I mention wrestling I'm talking wrestling, not WWE stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home