Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Real F-Word

Here is another one of my articles I wanted to share with you.

---

What is one thing that every human being on this planet feels all the time? It is ingrained into us on an instinctual level. It can serve us for the good or for the bad, and it’s extremely hard to control. The answer: Fear.

Fear is something I find very interesting. In fact, I am currently working on a new book and it is going to have a chapter devoted just to it. Fear is something so powerful, and it can be equally good and bad. It has propelled outnumbered, outmatched armies to absolute victory. And I’m sure it has prevented millions of people from realizing their lifelong dreams.

I first became interested in what fear is and the hold it has over us back when I was a kid. This may seem silly but it’s usually silly where we get some of our life lessons. There was a movie written and staring Albert Brooks in 1991 titled, “Defending Your Life.” For those of you who haven’t seen it it deals with what happens after you die. The basic story is that we are put on Earth to conquer fear, and when we die we go through a trial to see if we have. If you win you “move on,” if you lose you get reincarnated and get to try again. Regardless of what you believe really happens when you die you have to admit it was an interesting idea for a movie. I find myself thinking of this movie a lot, more than I like to admit. I will not let fear be the boss of me.

The fear of success is a very real thing. So is the fear of failure. And don’t forget about the fear of staying the same, and the fear of change. There’s a fear for everything, and we all have felt all of them at some point. Either on a conscious or subconscious level.

So what do we do about fear? How can we use it, harness its power to get the things we want in life? Good question, and beyond the scope of this article. Conquering fear has to become a lifelong quest. I believe every person has to find their own way, what works for them. However, the number one thing we all have to do is become aware of it. Understand fear is what’s getting in your way. Then think. Think about if this fear is helping you, or hindering you. Then take action to remedy the situation.

Is fear keeping you fat? Is fear keeping you weak? Are you afraid if you exercise people will notice you? Perhaps you fear sticking out. People fear compliments, people fear getting noticed.

Some of the scariest things I’ve done in my life have been things that were great for me in the long run, but made me “stick out” in a way. Now I don’t care. If I was afraid of sticking out I wouldn’t be writing this article. Whenever I have a fear pop into my gut the thought of that silly movie pops into my head. I recognize the fear, and analyze it. And you know what? Most of the time it’s no big deal.

So go ahead. Take on your fear. Get in shape. Start that business. Take that risk. Fear fear.

---

Train smart,

RL


«

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home