Monday, March 19, 2007

Kid strength

Sometimes I get asked what age is a good age for a child to start strength training. And when I'm asked that most of the time the parents assume heavy weight lifting is the only way to strength train.

Now, if the question was what age should a kid start heavy weight training I would first ask if they're sure that's the type of strength training they want their child to do. The stuff that I teach and practice myself can be done by anyone of any age, including children. But I don't use weights.

Any questions about heavy weight training I can probably answer but it is not my area of expertise. Because I don't train with weights, and I don't use them with my clients.

HOWEVER, I do believe that if a child wants to lift weights, 13 is a good age to start some very light stuff. But that's all I usually tell them. I try to steer them to more functional training that will serve their child better in life.

I see all these kids today who think they need to lift lift lift, the heavier the better. It really is a shame. Then they get interested in chemical aids to help add bulk, and strength. That ain't a good thing. Any parents out there who have kids (boys especially, but not exclusively) who are in high school and seem obsessed with lifting weights, I would keep your eyes and ears open. Steroids are in the schools. Kids have access to them and they just don't understand the long-term side effects, or don't care. Because they're invincible, according to them.

Heavy weight lifting is a FORM of strength training, but it's not the only kind. It's a way to train for a very specific type of strength that most people don't want or need.

If your kids are interested in getting stronger challenge them to do 50 push-ups in a row, if they can do that tell them to try 100. You're ever too young for push-ups. That's a good natural way to get some more strength, and it's just the tip of the ice burg.

Leave the bench pressing to the professional bodybuilders.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home