Monday, February 05, 2007

Mental focus

We're entering the home stretch of wrestling season. Tournament time.

This is when the team aspect is virtually gone and it turns to the individual wrestler (there are team standings in tournaments however.)

This is the time of year when I have to get my guys to focus mentally to the highest degree. Their bodies are in shape. They know what to do, or at least they should. Now it's all mental. Can they handle the pressure of this time of the season?

One of my goals as a coach is to train their minds just as much, if not more than, their bodies. I want them to take the lessons of mental preparedness on with them for the rest of their lives.

Not one day goes by when I don't think of the lessons I learned back when I was a high school wrestler.

Being mentally "tough" isn't easy. It requires you to get over your fear and do what you want, no matter how afraid you are.

It really is not about winning, it's about playing the game. Or in our case, stepping out on the mat. It's about making yourself do it. It's about dealing with the pressure and overcoming it.

I don't know how this season will end for my guys but win or lose, I hope they learn how to be successful in the rest of their lives.

Remember, your life is only limited by your own mind. Don't be afraid. Go for it.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home