Monday, April 30, 2007

Myths

The amount of myths about fitness out there are never ending. Over the next week I am going to be tackling a common myth everyday and give you my honest, pulling-no-punches opinion on it. I welcome you to send me and questions or ideas you have on the subject.

The first myth is one that is just plain stupid. It is, "fat can turn into muscle and vice versa." I know I know, when people say that they don't really mean the fat tissue is literally transforming into muscle. Well, maybe you think so, but I have talked to people in the past who believe that is the case.

They expect all the fat they have to slowly transform into muscle, one cell at a time.

Okay, that's impossible. Fat and muscle tissue are two totally separate things. Fat is essentially stored fuel. And muscle is essentially an engine to burn the fuel. Muscle burns all kinds of fuels, not just fat. In fact, fat is one of the last fuels muscle will begin to burn in the short term.

So anyone out there who thinks that fat turns into muscle or vice versa understand this: it does not. You burn fat, and build muscle. There, I should never hear anyone say this again. My job here is done.

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home