Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Apple Pickin'

It's coming up on my favorite time of the year. I love fall weather. I would have to say October is my favorite month. Although I'm not looking forward to the heating bills of the winter months.

Wrestling season is just around the corner, that means I will be even more busy than I am now. Winter is pretty much a 3 month marathon for me.

It is my hardest time of the year to find time to exercise. And when I do have the time I'm usually pretty tired and have to force myself to exercise using pure stubbornness.

Every year in October I always take a trip up to New Hampshire or Vermont to do some apple picking. I used to go up every year with my grandparents when I was a kid. Then we I got older it just sort of faded away. My grandparents sold their cabin in NH. I went several years without going. Once I got out on my own and had a family I remembered how much I liked doing it. So I decided we would start the tradition up again.

But anyway...

Apple picking is one of those simple things. While you're doing it you aren't really thinking too much about fitness. That is, unless of course you're out of shape.

I've seen people up there who can barely walk. They sure can't carry bags of apples around as they walk. I saw one mother once who had to sit at a picnic table while her family went out to enjoy the orchard. That would stink.

I'm glad I'm in shape when I go do stuff like that. I carry a bushel of apples while I'm walking a mile or two around the orchard. Then I have to chase my daughter around and constantly pick her up and press her overhead so she can get that "big one" at the top of the tree.

If your fitness level is keeping you from enjoying times like that with your family perhaps it's time for you to make a change in your life. They only grow up once. Wouldn't be a shame if you missed some of it just because you're in bad shape?

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home