Friday, October 27, 2006

Logs

I was digging through my old files and I found one of the first articles I ever wrote. It's okay I suppose.

---

Fitness One Log at a Time
By Ryan Linderson


I’ve always had a thing for log homes. Something about them just really appeals to me. The warm family atmosphere they portray perhaps. The connection with nature. It could stem from my quality time spent with Lincoln Logs when I was a boy. Whatever it is, I like them.
I was flipping through my favorite log home magazine when I got struck with an idea. Building a log home is similar to building your body, you need to do it one log at a time.
Some might say one brick at a time. Same analogy. But I like mine better. Logs are bigger, heavier, harder to manipulate and more costly than bricks. And that’s the way most people think about exercise.
Getting started on a new course in life is intimidating. I don’t care who you are. Everybody has fears. One log at a time. One repetition at a time. One meal at a time. One workout. One day, week, month, year at a time.
There’s an exercise I do regularly. I consider myself an expert at it. The first day I attempted to do this exercise, several years ago, I could barely do 15 repetitions in a row. I was upset. I wanted to be able to do 500 in a row. So I had room for a little improvement.
One log at a time.
I busted my hump. After about two months of practicing this exercise everyday, the moment came. The walls were built, the roof was on, the plumbing and electrical were all hooked up. I nailed 500 straight repetitions. I felt on top of the world.
On that first day of 15 repetitions the thought of 500 straight seemed downright impossible. The only thing that kept me on focused on that number was the knowledge that other people had done it in the past. Therefore it is humanly possible.
I broke it down to one repetition at a time. And to my surprise, the strategy worked. I have gone on to do over a 1000 repetitions in row since then. The sky is the limit when you approach a fitness goal in the correct way. People who run marathons don’t get up one morning and decide to go pound the pavement for 26 miles. The build up to the big day slowly.
People get discouraged. They don’t realize how out of shape they are until they try something and it whipes them out. They are shocked and embarassed. They give up, ignoring the problem. Putting their heads in the sand and pretending they’re still in the shape they were in high school.
I encourage you to take that first time. Think of it as the first log and go from there. Beginning is the hardest part. I’ve heard it said, once you’ve begun you’re half done.
Take fitness one small step at a time. Build me the log home of my dreams. Eventually with hard work, time and dedication you will have a beautiful structure waiting to be shown off to the world.

---

Train smart,

RL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home